Coffee County, Georgia
Coffee County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of 2000, the population was 37,413. The 2007 Census Estimate shows a population of 40,085. The county seat is Douglas, Georgia. Coffee County was created by an act of the Georgia General Assembly on February 9, 1854, from portions of Clinch, Irwin, Telfair, and Ware counties. These lands were originally ceded by the Creek in the Treaty of Fort Jackson in (1814) and the Treaty of the Creek Agency (1818) and apportioned to the above Counties before becoming Coffee County.
Berrien (1856), Jeff Davis (1905), and Atkinson (1917) Counties were subsequently formed from sections of Coffee's original borders.
The County is named for General John E. Coffee, an officer in the War of 1812, a state legislator, and a U. S. representative.
As of the census of 2000, there were 37,413 people, 13,354 households, and 9,788 families residing in the county.